Guardia Civil unveils high-tech sea drones to bolster maritime security
The Guardia Civil showcased its latest technological advancement on Thursday at the Port of Valencia – the GLADIUS MINI S model drones. Fitted with 4K UHD cameras, these high-tech drones represent a pivotal step in the ongoing battle against maritime smuggling.
A substantial 80% of the funding for these state-of-the-art drones was secured through the European Union Anti-Fraud Programme (EUAF 2021) of the European Union’s OLAF, with the remaining 20% provided by the Guardia Civil. This financial collaboration underscores the European Union’s dedication to fortifying its external borders against illicit activities.
The deployment plan for the GLADIUS MINI S drones is extensive, covering Fiscal and Border Units in strategic locations such as Valencia, Barcelona, Bilbao, Malaga, Vigo, Algeciras, Puerto de la Luz, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Alicante, and Santander.
This widespread distribution reflects the Guardia Civil’s unwavering commitment to combating smuggling activities that exploit concealed spaces on ships, both above and below the waterline. These drones, equipped with advanced 4K UHD cameras, are not merely inspection tools; they signify a leap forward in maritime security.
The drones will conduct thorough inspections of ship hulls, complementing the existing efforts of the Guardia Civil’s Fiscal and Border Analysis and Investigation Units (UDAIFF). Furthermore, they will enhance the capabilities of the Special Group for Underwater Activities (GEAS), which will intervene based on drone reconnaissance findings.
The acquisition of these underwater drones by the Guardia Civil exemplifies a proactive approach to securing maritime borders and defending against the evolving tactics of criminal organizations.
Other articles that may interest you...